Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Literature VS other Medias

So, recently, there have been several reality TV shows about dating and focusing on cultures. One of these shows is "Tila Tequila's Shot at Love." This show is about a bisexual celebrity looking for love and having competitions between straight men and lesbian women (as they state it). For some unknown reason, I tend to watch this show and every time I do I become more sickened by the sheer ignorance of many people. For example, on the first episode of the new season, one of the male competitors says that "all women crave the wang bone. Why else would they have dildos, vibrators, and things of that nature. I'm going to win because I come stocked with wang bone." I could not believe that someone would go on national television and say something like this. I found it offensive on the part of women and of the LGBTQ community but really didn't know what to do about it. I was more concerned with the youth that watch this channel throughout the day and what images and messages they receive from such shows.

Another appalling example of reality TV is contained within the show "My Big Fat Redneck Wedding." This basis of this show is to put on display the most stereotypical "redneck" families and couples there are in America. This show in no way flatters the couples. It shows them doing the most stereotypical actions, like making a camouflage wedding dress, and the way the footage of their dialog is cut, they sound very unintelligent. The host of the show even pauses the footage to make fun of these people. This show airs on the country music channel and as a fan of country music, I've often been asked if I am a redneck. I have rarely been able to answer that question and now with this show I wonder if they are trying to tell me to use this show as a role model if I do identify as a redneck. Sadly, I see how this show represents reality by ignorant people laughing at others' cultures, however, I desperately wonder how can this be turned positive.

I hope that literature in schools can combat this growing amount of disgustingly offensive reality TV. Is it possible though? If we teach our students about why such statements and moments should not happen through exploring diverse literature, will it change this realm of TV. Perhaps in the future? I fully believe that we can change the look of tomorrow by using diverse literature in schools and teaching students the importance of respectful diversity, but what can we do about the older generations that just don't seem to care as much?

No comments: